Ioannina Traditional Food & Culture walking tour
Get ready to embark on a mouth-watering adventure as we take you on a journey to discover the culture, traditions, and gastronomy of Epirus just like a local. This walking tour is perfect for those who want to experience traditional flavors and local wines while exploring the charming alleys of Ioannina and the beautiful Island of Ioannina.
Join us for a delightful 4-hour tour where you will savor the unique flavors and intense aromas of Epirus cuisine, sample authentic tsipouro and wine made by local producers, and engage in friendly conversations with the locals who will share with you the rich history of the city. This is an experience you wouldn't want to miss!
W will begin our day with a sweet treat, Grandma Maria's traditional bougatsa recipe. Then, we will take a walk through the charming alleys of the city to the “Gyali Kafene”, an old coffee shop where we will savor freshly-roasted coffee and experience the amazing aroma.
We will continue our journey by heading to the city’s historic center, where Mr. Dimitris will introduce us to the old folk art of silversmithing, and we will learn about the history of this art from the Ottoman Empire era.
Next, we will visit our friends from Metsovo, who have set up their traditional delicatessen shop. We will taste their homemade cheeses, cold cuts, and wine, which they have been producing for 40 years in the picturesque village of Metsovo.
Now, we will head to the famous Ioannina Castle, where we will explore the narrow alleys and learn about its history, including Ali Pasha and Kyra-Frosini.
To end our fantastic day, we will gather in a small restaurant where we will cook a traditional pie and enjoy the flavors of Epirus. Come and join us on this wonderful adventure and experience the culture, traditions, and gastronomy of Epirus like a local!
- You’ll try one of the most famous "bougatsa" in Greece.
- You’ll get aromas of freshly roasted coffee that will always remind you of your trip to the city of Ioannina.
- We’ll present you the folk art and the workshops that developed their techniques, with the result that the "Silverware of Ioannina" is the best of its kind.
- You’ll taste local cheeses made by a family involved in cheese making for four generations.
- You’ll be immersed in "the city with legends and traditions" history through the museums and the castle.
- We’ll take you to a family shop to try traditional homemade recipes and get to know the standard drinks of the area.